Press Release from Missouri Department of Elementary &
Missouri Names Eight Gold Star Schools
For more information, contact:
Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
Thursday, May 21, 2015
Eight Missouri public schools have received one of the state’s highest honors.
The Department announced the winners of this year’s Gold Star Schools on Thursday. The program recognizes schools that perform at high academic levels or that perform at high levels while serving a significant proportion of disadvantaged students.
This year’s recipients are:
· Barbara Blanchard Elementary, Cape Girardeau 63 School District
· Ralph M. Captain Elementary, Clayton School District
· Ladue Middle School, Ladue School District
· Truman Middle School, Lindbergh School District
· New Haven High School, New Haven School District
· McKelvey Elementary School, Parkway C-2 School District
· West Middle School, Parkway C-2 School District
· Kennard Classical Junior Academy, St. Louis Public Schools
“The teachers, faculty and students of these eight schools are to be commended for achieving high levels of academic success,” said Missouri Commissioner of Education Dr. Margie Vandeven. “Their achievements provide further evidence of the great things happening in Missouri public schools as we strive toward all Missouri children graduating college and career ready.”
The Gold Star Schools program was established by the Department in 1991 and aligns with the national Blue Ribbon Schools program sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education. The Gold Star Schools program uses the same criteria for nomination as the National Blue Ribbon Schools program. Recipients of the state’s award were nominated for national Blue Ribbon recognition. Blue Ribbon Schools will be announced this fall by the U.S. Department of Education.